Washington Research Foundation Innovation Assistant Professor
Campus Box 352500
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
Phone: (206) 543-6127
External Web Page: sites.bioe.uw.edu/yazdan-azadeh
Azadeh Yazdan-Shahmorad joined the University of Washington Fall of 2017 as the Washington Research Foundation Innovation Assistant Professor of Neuroengineering in the Departments of Bioengineering and Electrical & Computer Engineering. In her lab, she develops novel tools and technologies to interrogate and understand the nervous system. Her long-term goal is to use these tools and technologies for personalized neurorehabilitation and help restore function in people with neurological and psychiatric disorders. She received bachelor’s and master’s degrees in biomedical engineering at Tehran Polytechnic University and University of Tehran, Iran, respectively, and earned her Ph.D. in biomedical engineering from the University of Michigan in 2011. Yazdan-Shahmorad is the recipient of two fellowships from the American Heart Association, 2014 IEEE Brain Grand Challenges Young Investigator Award and the 2017 Interdisciplinary Rehabilitation Engineering Research Career Development Award. Her research in targeted sensorimotor plasticity was selected as a hot topic of 2016 by the Society for Neuroscience. She received the excellence in mentorship award from the Bioengineering Department in 2019.
Awards and Honors
UW Bioengineering Award for Excellence in Mentorship, 2019
IREK12, Interdisciplinary Rehabilitation Engineering Research Career Development Award, NIH, 2018-2019,
Washington Research Foundation Innovation Professorship in Neuroengineering, Washington Research Foundation, 2017-2022
Neuroscience 2016 Hot Topic abstract, Society of Neuroscience, 2016
One-year Post-doctoral Fellowship, American Heart Association, 2016
Team Science scholarship, University of California, 2015
Young Investigator Award, IEEE Brain Grand Challenges, 2014
Post-doctoral Fellowship, American Heart Association, 2014-2015
Travel Award, Iranian Neuroscientists Community, Society for Neuroscience, 2013
Featured Student, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, 2011
Best Student Poster Award, 17th annual meeting of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2009
Student award, 38th Neural Interface Conference, 2008
Summer Course Scholarship, Marine Biological Laboratory, NeuroInformatics course, 2008
Graduate fellowship award, 3rd International IEEE EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering, 2007
Honor student (ranked first in the class of 2003), Graduate program at The University of Tehran
Honor student (ranked 3rd in the class of 2001), Undergraduate program at Tehran Polytechnic, 2001
Please visit https://sites.bioe.uw.edu/yazdan-azadeh/ for the updated list of research projects.
- K. Khateeb2, Z. Yao2, V. Kharazia, E. Burunova1, S. Song, R. Wang, A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, “A Practical Method for Creating Targeted Focal Ischemic Stroke in the Cortex of Nonhuman Primates”, IEEE EMBC 2019.
- Z. Ip2, G. Rabiller, J.W. He, Z. Yao2, Y. Akamatsu, Y. Nishijimi, J. Liu, A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, “Cortical stroke affects activity and stability of theta/delta states in remote hippocampal regions“, IEEE EMBC 2019.
- J. Bloch2, K. Khateeb2, D. Silversmith, J. E. O’Doherty, P. N. Sabes, A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, “Cortical Stimulation Induces Network-Wide Coherence Change in Non-Human Primate Cortex“, IEEE EMBC 2019.
- S. Macknik, R. Alexander, O. Caballero, K. Nielsen, N. Nishimura, C. Schaffer, H. Slovin, A. Babayoff, S. Tang, N. Ju, A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, J. M. Alonso, E. Malinskiy, and S. Martinez-Conde, “Advanced Circuit and Cellular Imaging Methods in Non-Human Primates” Jounral of Neuroscience, 2019, Oct 16, 39 (42), 8267-8274. PMID: 31619496.
- J.W. He, G. Rabiller, Y. Nishijima, Y. Akamatsu, K. Khateeb2, X. Leinekugel, A. Yazdan-Shahmorad,J. Liu, “Experimental cortical stroke induces aberrant increase of sharp wave associated ripples in the hippocampus and disrupts cortico-hippocampal communication”, Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, 2019, Sep 26:271678X19877889.PMID: 31558106.
- K. Khateeb, D. J. Griggs, P. N. Sabes, A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, “Convection Enhanced Delivery of an Optogenetic Adeno-associated Viral Vector to the Rhesus Macaque Cortex with Online MRI Images”, Journal of Visualized Experiments, 2019 May 23;(147). DOI: 10.3791/59232. PMID:31180352.
- D. J. Griggs, K. Khateeb, S. Philips, J. W. Chan, W.K.S. Ojemann, A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, “Optimized large-scale optogenetic interface for non-human primates“, SPIE BIOS, 2019, Feb 7-12, San Francisco, California, USA.
- Z. Yao, A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, “A Quantitative Model for Estimating the Scale of Photochemically Induced Ischemic Stroke”, 40th IEEE EMBS Annual International Conference, July 17-21, 2018, USA.
- A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, D. Silversmith, Philip N. Sabes, “Novel techniques for large-scale manipulations of cortical networks in non-human primates” 40th IEEE EMBS Annual International Conference, July 17-21, 2018, USA.
- A. Yazdan-Shahmorad*, D. Silversmith* (Equal contribution), P. N. Sabes, “Targeted cortical reorganization using optogenetics in non-human primates”, eLife, 2018 May 29. PMID: 29809133.
- A. Yazdan-Shahmorad*, N. Tian*, V. Kharazia* (Equal contribution), A. Kells, J. He, J. Bringas, K. H. Rosenbluth, K. Bankiewickz, P. Sabes, “Widespread cortical expression of ChR2 in Macaque via MR-guided, convection enhanced delivery (CED) of AAV vector to the thalamus”, Journal of Neuroscience methods, Volume 293, January 1, 2018. PMID: 29042259.
- A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, C. Diaz-Botia, T. Hanson, P. Ledochowitsch, M. M. Maharbiz, P. Sabes, “A large interface for optogentic stimulation and recording in non-human primates”, Neuron; 2016 Feb 10. PMID: 26875625.
- P. Ledochowitsch*, A. Yazdan-Shahmorad* (Equal contribution), K. E. Bouchard, C. Diaz-Botia, T. L. Hanson, J.W. He, B. Seyboldt, E. Olivero, E. A. K. Phillips, T. J. Blanche, C. E. Schreiner, A. Hasenstaub, E. F. Chang, P. N. Sabes, M. M. Maharbiz, “Strategies for optical control and simultaneous electrical readout of extended cortical circuits”, Journal of Neuroscience methods (2015). Dec;256:220-31. PMID: 26296286.
- A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, C. Diaz-Botia, T. Hanson, P. Ledochowitsch, M. M. Maharabiz, P. N. Sabes, “Demonstration of a setup for chronic optogenetic stimulation and recording across cortical areas in non-human primates” SPIE BIOS, 2015, Feb 7-12, San Francisco, California, USA, DOI: 10.1117/12.2080405.
- A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, D. R. Kipke, M. J. Lehmkuhle, “High gamma power in ECoG reflects cortical electrical stimulation effects on unit activity in layers V/VI”, Journal of Neural Engineering. 10 (2013) 066002. PMID: 24099908, PMCID: PMC4140191.
- J. He, A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, P.N. Sabes, ”Readily evoked forelimb movement in rat via optogenetic stimulation of motor cortex”, 6th International IEEE EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering, Nov 5-8, 2013, San Diego, California, USA, DOI: 10.1109/NER.2013.6696037.
- A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, D. R. Kipke, M. J. Lehmkuhle, “Polarity of cortical electrical stimulation differentially affects neuronal activity of deep and superficial layers of rat motor cortex”, Brain Stimulation Journal (2011). Oct;4(4):228-41. PMID: 22032738, PMCID: PMC3204189.
- A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, M. J. Lehmkuhle, G. J. Gage, H. Parikh, T. Marzullo, R. M. Miriani and D. R. Kipke, “Estimation of electrode location in rat motor cortex by laminar analysis of electrophysiology and intracortical electrical stimulation” Journal of Neural Engineering. 8 (2011) 046018. PMID: 21690656.
- H. Jahanian, A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, H. Soltanian-Zadeh, “4D Wavelet Noise Suppression of MR Diffusion Tensor Data”, The 33rd International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), March 30 – April 4, 2008, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, DOI: 10.1109/ICASSP.2008.4517658.
- H. Parikh, T. Marzullo, A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, G. Gage, D. Kipke, “Laminar Characterization of Spiking Activity in the Rat Motor Cortex” 29th IEEE EMBS Annual International Conference, August 23-26, 2007, Cité Internationale, Lyon, France, PMID:18003063.
- A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, G. J. Gage, T. C. Marzullo, E. Kim and D. R. Kipke, “ Linear Electrode Depth Estimation in Rat Motor Cortex by Laminar Analysis of Ketamine-Xylazine-Induced Oscillations” 3rd International IEEE EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering, May 2-5, 2007, Kohala Coast, Hawaii, USA, DOI: 10.1109/CNE.2007.369755.
- M.R. Abidian, L.G. Salas, T.C. Marzullo, A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, D.C. Martin, D.R. Kipke, “In-Vivo Evaluation of Chronically Implanted Neural Microelectrode Arrayes Modified with Poly (3, 4-Ethylenedioxythiophene) Nanotubes” 3rd International IEEE EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering, May 2-5, 2007, Kohala Coast, Hawaii, USA, DOI: 10.1109/CNE.2007.369612.
- A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, H. Jahanian, S. Patel, H. Soltanian-Zadeh, “Automatic Brian Tumor Segmentation Using Tissue Diffusivity Characteristics” IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro, 12-15 April 2007, Metro Washington, D.C., USA, DOI: 10.1109/ISBI.2007.356968.
- A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, H. Soltanian-Zadeh, R. A. Zoroofi, “Comparing the Wavelet and Wavelet Packets Feature Spaces in MRSI Brain Tumor Characterization” 2nd IEEE GCC 2004 proceedings, 23-25 November 2004, Manama, Bahrain.
- A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, H. Soltanian-Zadeh, R. A. Zoroofi, ”MRSI Brain Tumor Characterization Using Wavelet and Wavelet Packets Feature Spaces and Artificial Neural Networks” The 26th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC2004) proceedings, 1-5 September 2004, San Francisco, USA, PMID: 17272060.
- A. Yazdan-Shahmorad, H. Soltanian-Zadeh, R. A. Zoroofi, P. Zamani , “Wavelet-Based Methods for Analysis of Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopic Imaging (MRSI) Data”, World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering (WC2003) proceeding, 24-29 of August 2003, Sydney, Australia.
- A Yazdan-Shahmorad, H. Soltanian-Zadeh, R. A. Zoroofi, P. Zamani , “MRSI Brain Lesion Characterization Using Wavelet Transform and Fuzzy Clustering” , World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering (WC2003) proceeding, 24-29 of August 2003, Sydney, Australia.