Ming-Ting Sun received the B.S. degree from National Taiwan University and the Ph.D. degree from University of California, Los Angeles, all in electrical engineering.
Dr. Sun joined the University of Washington in 1996 where he is a Professor. Previously, he was the Director of Video Signal Processing Research at Bellcore. He has been a chaired/visiting professor at several universities. His main research interest is video and multimedia signal processing.
Dr. Sun holds 13 patents and has published about 300 technical papers, including 17 book chapters in the area of video and multimedia technologies. He co-edited a book “Compressed Video over Networks”. He has guest-edited 12 special issues for various journals and given keynotes for several international conferences. He was an Editor-in-Chief of the Journal for Visual Communication and Image Representation (JVCI) from 2012 to 2016, the Editor-in-Chief for IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (TMM) from 2000 to 2001, and the Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (TCSVT) from 1995 to 1997. He was a Distinguished Lecturer of the Circuits and Systems Society from 2000 to 2001. He received an IEEE CASS Golden Jubilee Medal in 2000. He served as a General Co-Chair of ICME (International Conference on Multimedia and Expo) 2016, an Honorary Chair of VCIP (Visual Communication and Image Processing) 2015, a General Co-Chair chair of Visual Communications and Image Processing 2000. He served as the Chair of the VSPC (Visual Signal Processing and Communications) Technical Committee of IEEE CAS (Circuits and Systems) Society from 1993 to 1994. He received the TCSVT Best Paper Award in 1993. From 1988 to 1991, he was the chairman of the IEEE CAS Standards Committee and established the IEEE Inverse Discrete Cosine Transform Standard. He is a Life Fellow of IEEE.
Awards and Honors
IEEE Fellow, 1996
IBM Faculty Award, 2010
IEEE Life Fellow, 2020
- K. Lin, L. Wang, K. Luo, Y. Chen, Z. Liu, and M.T. Sun, “Cross-Domain Complementary Learning Using Pose for Multi-Person Part Segmentation," accepted, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (TCSVT), 2020. [ Link ]
- K. Lin, J. Lu, C.S. Chen, J. Zhou, and M.T. Sun, “Unsupervised Deep Learning of Compact Binary Descriptors," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI), vol.41, issue 6, pp.1501-1514, 2019. [ Link ]
- X. Zhang, P.A. Chou, M.T. Sun, M. Tang, S. Wang, S. Ma, and W. Gao, “Surface Light Field Compression Using a Point Cloud Codec,” IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems (JETCAS), vol.9, issue 1, pp.163-176, 2019. [ Link ]
- S. Li, C. Zhu, and M.T. Sun, “Hole Filling with Multiple Reference Views in DIBR View Synthesis,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (TMM), Vol.20, Issue 8, pp.1948-1959, 2018. [ Link ]
- T. Zhang, H.M. Chen, M.T. Sun, D. Zhao, and W. Gao, “Signal Dependent Transform Based on SVD for HEVC Intra Coding,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (TMM), vol.19, no.11, pp. 2404-2414, 2017. [ Link ]
- W. Cheng, W. Lin, X. Zhang, M. Goesele, and M.T. Sun, “A Data-driven Point Cloud Simplification Framework for City-scale Image-based Localization,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (TIP), vol.26, no.1, pp.262-275, Jan. 2017. [ Link ]