James A. Ritcey joined UW ECE in 1985, after completing his Ph.D. in electrical engineering (communication theory and systems) at the University of California, San Diego. Before that he worked at General Electric on airborne electronic systems, including communications and radar.
Since coming to UW ECE, Ritcey has worked in a number of statistical signal processing areas, including array signal processing for radar and underwater acoustics, wireless communications, and network security for 5G. Most recently he has been interested in Massive MIMO, network security and computational methods. He has been funded by ONR, NSF, ARO and NUWC, and has consulted for many Tech Companies in the greater Seattle area. He was awarded the IEEE Fellow in 2011.
Ritcey is active on the Steering Committee for Asilomar Conference on SIgnals, Systems and Computers where he chairs the Nominations Committee. He is a past General Chair of IEEE ICC, and has served on numerous program committees. Within the Department of Electrical Engineering he has served as director of both the undergraduate and graduate programs, and served as Associate Chair for Education (2006-2011) and has received the UW ECE Chair’s Award for founding the UW EE Professional Masters Program.
Awards and Honors
- 1. D. Xu, P. Ren and J. A. Ritcey, ”Independence-Checking Coding for OFDM Channel Training Authentication: Protocol Design, Security, Stability, and Tradeoff Analysis,” in IEEE Transactionson Information Forensics and Security, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 387-402, Feb. 2019.
- D. Xu, P. Ren, J. A. Ritcey and Y. Wang, ”Code-Frequency Block Group Coding for Anti-SpoofingPilot Authentication in Multi-Antenna OFDM Systems,” in IEEE Transactions on Information Foren-sics and Security, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1778-1793, July 2018
- . X. Chen, J. Hwang, J. A. Ritcey, C. Lee and F. Yeh, ”Quality-Driven Joint Rate and Power Adaptation for Scalable Video Transmissions Over MIMO Systems,” in IEEE Transactions on Circuits andSystems for Video Technology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 366-379, Feb. 2017.
- R. Wei, J. A. Ritcey and B. Lu, ”TCM With Differential Encoding: Set Partitioning, Trellis Designs,and Distance Analysis,” in IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 2776-2787,Aug. 2015.
- M. Xia, D. Rouseff, J. A. Ritcey, X. Zou, C. Polprasert and W. Xu, ”Underwater Acoustic Communication in a Highly Refractive Environment Using SCFDE,” in IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering,
Ms. Ran Wei
Mr. Liu Cao
Mr. Michael Carasino