Associate Teaching Professor
Computing and Networking, Data Science
Campus Box 352500
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
External Web Page: YouTube Channel
Dr. Rania Hussein is a senior IEEE member and has over 10 years of work experience in higher education where she developed and taught courses at all levels in electrical engineering and computer science. She has a strong teaching portfolio backed by high ratings from her students in the course evaluations. Before joining ECE in summer 2018, she was a lecturer of electrical engineering at UW-Bothell. She also worked as a research engineer at the Walt Disney Company focusing on data mining, sentiment analysis of the social web, and gamification to increase web presence and customer engagement. After joining ECE, Dr. Hussein has redeveloped EE 371, EE 474, and EE 475 in the embedded systems concentration. She is a recipient of Faculty Appreciation for Career Education and Training (FACET, UW’s college of engineering) Award in 2020 due to her impact on advancing students‘ education and preparing them for successful careers. Dr. Hussein’s students are successful industry professionals in high profile companies.
Dr. Hussein is a senior research scientist at the UW ECE Sensors, Energy, and Automation Lab (SEAL) and her research focus is on embedded systems, IoT, image processing and engineering education.
Additionally Dr. Hussein has a solid experience in leadership serving as a board member or executive director to non-profits to promote diversity and the social/educational development of women and youth. She has experience in starting new initiatives as well as marketing, fundraising, and public relations. She founded MAPS Many Cultures One Community which played an instrumental role in promoting the first night final exam at UW-Bothell that Rania and her colleagues held in Spring 2017 and led to the building of SB-5166 Bill. In 2019, the SB-5166 passed into WA State law which requires post secondary institutions to provide alternate exam accommodations for students due to religious holidays. Rania testified in the Senate of higher education in support of the SB-5166 Bill (Rania’s testimony starting minute 30:52).
Awards and Honors
- Faculty Appreciation for Career Education and Training (FACET) Award recipient, College of Engineering, UW, 2020
- Distinguished Teaching Award Nominee, UW Seattle, 2019 and 2020
- David B. Thorud leadership Award nominee. UW Seattle, 2020
- Outbound Good Leadership Award, Muslim Association of Puget Sound MAPS, 2019
- Distinguished Teaching Award Finalist, UW Bothell, 2017.
- Samuel Kim, Irfan Wisanggeni, Ryan Ros, Rania Hussein. “Detecting fatigue driving through PERCLOS: a Review”, International journal of Image Processing IJIP, Volume 14, issue 1, February 2020.
- Viswanathan, Vidya; Hussein, Rania. “Application of Image Processing and real-time embedded systems in autonomous cars: a short review”, International Journal of Image Processing (IJIP), Volume 11, issue 1, January 2017.
- Hussein, Rania, Frederic D. McKenzie. “Identifying Ambiguous Prostate Gland Contours from Histology Using Capsule Shape Information and Least Squares Curve Fitting.” The International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery ( IJCARS), Volume 2 Numbers 3-4, pp. 143-150, December 2007.
- Schellhammer, Paul F., Jose I. Diaz, Michael D. Fabrizio, John W. Davis, Robert W. Given, Brian Main, N. Rao Chaganty, Rania Hussein, and Rick McKenzie. “Computer Modeling Technology to Assess Extra-Capsular Tissue Coverage of Whole Mount Sections after Retropubic and Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy.” Journal of Urology, Vol. 178, October 2007. pp. 1301-1305.
- Hussein, Rania, Frederic D. McKenzie. “Automatic Identification of ambiguous Prostate Capsule Boundary Lines using Shape Information and Least Squares Curve Fitting Technique.” In Eurographics: 15-th International Conference in Central Europe on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision (WSCG 2007), January 19 - February 1, 2007, Plzen, Czech Republic, pp. 199-204.
- Hussein, Rania, Frederic D. McKenzie, Paul Schellhammer, Jose Diaz. "Quantitation of Extra-Capsular Prostate Tissue from Reconstructed Tissue Images." In Proceedings of the Forth IEEE Symposium on BioInformatics and BioEngineering (IEEE BIBE 2004). May 19-21, 2004, Taichung, Taiwan.
- Hussein, Rania, Frederic D. McKenzie, Ravindra Joshi. "Automating Prostate Capsule Contour Estimation for 3D Model Reconstruction Using Shape and Histological Features." In Proceedings of the International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE) International Symposium on MEDICAL IMAGING, February 14-19, 2004, San Diego, California USA.
- McKenzie, Frederic D., Jose Diaz, Paul Schellhammer, Rania Hussein. "Towards Statistical Inferences of Successful Prostate Surgery." In Proceedings of the 25th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEEE EMBS 2003). Cancun, Mexico. September 17-21, 2003.
- McKenzie, Frederic D., Rania Hussein, Jennifer Seevinck, Paul Schellhammer, Jose Diaz. "Prostate Gland and Extra-Capsular Tissue 3D Reconstruction and Measurement." In Proceedings of the Third IEEE Symposium on BioInformatics and BioEngineering (IEEE BIBE 2003). Washington, DC. March 10-12, 2003.
- McKenzie, Frederic D., Rania Hussein, Paul Schellhammer, Jose Diaz. "Quantifying Prostate Surgery Success through 3D Reconstruction and Measurement." The 11th Annual Medicine Meets Virtual Reality (MMVR) Conference. Poster presentation. Newport Beach, California. January 22-25, 2003.
- Certificate in Project Management, University of Washington
- Ph.D. of Electrical Engineering, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
- MS. of Computer Science, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA.
- BS. of Computer Engineering, Arab Academy for Science and Technology, Alexandria, Egypt.