John Raiti‘s research has focused on human robot interaction projects in which he designed, implemented, and tested web interfaces for a variety of robots; including NASA Robonaut (R2), NASA Valkyrie (R5), PR2, iRobot Create, AR.Drone, and LEGO Mindstorms. One of his collaborations with Planetary and Geological Sciences at Brown University involved studying how a robot could be used to assist astronauts in the detection of geologically relevant rock samples which could then be cored, cached, and sent brought back to Earth. Some of his robotics research for the physically disabled was included in a TED talk, entitled, “Meet the robots for humanity.”
John has worked at Applied Dexterity, a spinout of the BioRobotics lab at UW, and has developed human robot interaction projects involving Applied Dexterity’s RAVEN and Cockpit robotic platforms. He designed, implemented, and conducted novel robot applications in collaboration with NASA Johnson Space Center to meet the scientific and research needs of NASA.
John is a recipient of Faculty Appreciation for Career Education and Training (FACET, UW’s College of Engineering) Award in 2019 due to his impact on advancing students‘ education and preparing them for successful careers.
John also helps lead projects in robotics STEM outreach in Seattle, including mentoring the Ballard High School FIRST robotics team, Vikings 2928.
John received the doctorate and master’s degrees in Biomedical Engineering from Brown University, where his doctoral thesis examined human and robotic navigation with degraded sensory information. John also received the Master of Science degree in Neuroscience from Syracuse University and the Bachelor of Arts in Neuroscience from Johns Hopkins University.
Awards and Honors
Faculty Appreciation for Career Education and Training (FACET) Award recipient, College of Engineering, UW, 2019
- Boger, I., Chakalasiya, Christofferson, K., Wang, Y., and Raiti, J. Induced Acoustic Resonance for Noninvasive Bone Fracture Detection Using Digital Signal Processing and Machine Learning . 2020 IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (GHTC)
- Yang, R., Zhou, H., Wang, K., Cuneo, A., Murinova, N., Wang, Y., and Raiti, J. Virtual Reality Biofeedback Therapy for Chronic Migraine. 2020 IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (GHTC)
- Ngeh, C.J., Ma, C., Ho, T., Wang, Y., and Raiti, J.Deep Learning on Edge Device for Early Prescreening of Skin Cancers in Rural Communities. 2020 IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (GHTC)
- Lewis, A., Drajeske, D., Raiti, J., Berens, A., Rosen, J., and Hannaford, B. “RAVEN-S: Design and Simulation of a Robot for Teleoperated Microgravity Rodent Dissection Under Time Delay.” International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2020
- Wang, Y., Chen, Z., Li, H., Cao, Z., Luo, H., Zhang, T., Ou, K., Raiti, J., Yu, C., Patel, S., Shi, Y. “MoveVR: Enabling Multiform Force Feedback in Virtual Reality using Household Cleaning Robot”. Conference on Human Interaction (CHI) 2020
- Lin, T., Tran, C., Feng, T., Huang, L., James, J., Zaragoza, R., Hannaford, B., Wagner, L., and Raiti, J. “Empathics System: Application of Emotion Analysis AI through Smart Glasses.” Proceedings of the 13th ACM International Conference on PErvasive Technologies Related to Assistive Environments. 2020
- Yang, D., Xiong, J., Li, X., Yan, X., Raiti, J., Wang, Y., Wu, H., Zhong, Z. “Building Towards “Invisible cloak”: Robust Physical Adversarial Attack on Yolo Object Dectector” IEEE UEM (Ubiquitous Computing Electronics and Mobile Computing) Conference 2018
TECHIN514: HW/SW Lab 1
TECHIN515: HW/SW Lab 2
TECHIN540: Integrated Launch Studio 1
TECHIN542: Integrated Launch Studio 2