Donald W. and Ruth Mary Close Professor
Power and Energy Systems
Campus Box 352500
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
Research Web Page: Renewable Energy Analysis Lab
Daniel Kirschen joined the University of Washington in 2011 after spending 16 years at the University of Manchester (previously UMIST) where he was head of the Electrical Energy and Power Systems research group. Before becoming an academic, Kirschen worked for Control Data and Siemens on the development of advanced application software for electric utility control centers. He is the author or co-author of two books and over two hundred scientific papers.
Awards and Honors
2007 Fellow of the IEEE
2014 Chaire Francqui, Université Libre de Bruxelles (Belgium)
2009 Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Power and Energy Society
2006 Significant Reviewer, IEEE Power Engineering Society
1979 Fellow of the Belgian American Educational Foundation
Current research projects:
- Power System Resilience to Natural Disasters
- Economic mechanisms for grid resilience against extreme events and natural gas disruptions
- Data Analytics for Arlington Microgrid
- Quantification of the Grid Benefits of a Solar Microgrid
Past research projects:
- Maximizing the Financial Benefits of Aggregated Distributed Energy Resources
- Enhancing the Reliability of Power Systems for Semiconductor Manufacturing Facilities
- Policies and Planning for Low-Carbon Power Systems
- Certifiable, Scalable, and Attack-resilient Submodular Control Framework for Smart Grid Stability
- Installation of PV panels, smart inverters and batteries on the UW campus
- Profitability of Energy Storage in a Competitive Environment
- Shared Use of Energy Storage Devices
- Energy Positioning: Control and Economics
- Lane Smith, Daniel Kirschen, “Should Storage-Centric Tariffs be Extended to Commercial Flexible Demand?”, 2022 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting (PESGM).
- Mareldi Ahumada-Paras, Rodrigo Moreno, Daniel Kirschen, “N-k Analysis of Natural Gas Systems Under Natural Disasters and the Impact on Power Generation”, 2022 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting (PESGM).
- Lane Smith and Daniel S. Kirschen, “Impacts of Time-of-Use Rate Changes on the Electricity Bills of Commercial Consumers”, 2021 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting (PESGM).
- Yao Long, Daniel S. Kirschen, “Bi-level Volt/VAR Optimization in Distribution Networks with Smart PV Inverters,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Early Access, DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2022.3142105
- Yao Long, Ryan Elliot, Daniel S. Kirschen, “Adaptive Coalition Formation-Based Coordinated Voltage Regulation in Distribution Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Early Access, DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2021.3120195
- Guangchun Ruan, Daniel S Kirschen, Haiwang Zhong, Qing Xia, Chongqing Kang, “Estimating Demand Flexibility Using Siamese LSTM Neural Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Early Access, DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2021.3110723
- Ryan T Elliott, Payman Arabshahi, Daniel S Kirschen, “Stabilising transient disturbances with utility-scale inverter-based resources”, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol. 20, No. 26, pp. 6534-6544, DOI: 10.1049/iet-gtd.2020.1319.
- Daniel S Kirschen, “Risk Exposure, Externalization and Allocation in Unbundled Power Systems”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 36, No.3, May 2021, pp. 1879-1889, DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2020.3037483
- Q. Hou, N. Zhang, D. S. Kirschen, E. Du, Y. Cheng and C. Kang, "Sparse Oblique Decision Tree for Power System Security Rules Extraction and Embedding," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 1605-1615, March 2021, doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2020.3019383.
- Chanaka Keerthisinghe, Evan Mickelson, Nathan Shih, Daniel Kirschen, and Scott Gibson, “Improved PV Forecasts for Capacity Firming”, IEEE Access, Vol. 8, pp. 152173-152182, 2020. DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3016956
- Yaohua Cheng, Ning Zhang, Daniel S. Kirschen, Wujing Huang, Chongqing Kang “Planning multiple energy systems for low-carbon districts with high penetration of renewable energy: An empirical study in China” Applied Energy, Volume 261, 2020, 114390, DOI: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.114390.
- Zeyu Wang and Daniel Kirschen, “Two-stage Optimal Scheduling for Aggregators of Batteries Owned by Commercial Consumers”, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol. 13, No. 21, pp. 4880-4887, Sep. 2019. DOI: 10.1049/iet-gtd.2018.5606
- Daniel J Olsen, and Daniel S. Kirschen, “Profitable Emissions-Reducing Energy Storage”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 1509-1519, March 2020, DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2019.2942549.
- Ryan Elliott, Payman Arabshahi and Daniel S. Kirschen, “A Generalized PSS Architecture for Balancing Transient and Small-Signal Response”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 1446-1456, March 2020, DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2019.2938205.
- Yushi Tan, Feng Qiu, Arindam K. Das, Daniel S. Kirschen, Payman Arabshahi, Jianhui Wang, “Scheduling Post-Disaster Repairs in Electricity Distribution Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 34, No. 4, July 2019, pp. 2611-2621, [Link].
- Chanaka Keerthisinghe, Mareldi Ahumada-Paras, Lilo D. Pozzo, Daniel S. Kirschen, Hugo Pontes, Wesley K. Tatum, and Marvi A. Matos, “PV-Battery Systems for Critical Loads During Emergencies”, IEEE Power and Energy Magazine, Vol. 17, No. 1, Jan-Feb 2019, pp. 82-93. [Link]
- Y. Wang, N. Zhang, C. Kang, D. S. Kirschen, J. Yang and Q. Xia, "Standardized Matrix Modeling of Multiple Energy Systems," in IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 257-270, Jan. 2019. [Link]
- Zhipeng Liu, Andrew Clark, Linda Bushnell, Daniel Kirschen, and Radha Poovendran, “Controlled Islanding via Weak Submodularity”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 34, No. 3, May 2019, pp. 1858-1868. [Link]
- Daniel Olsen, Ning Zhang, Chongqing Kang, Miguel Ortega Vazquez, Daniel S. Kirschen, “Planning Low-Carbon Campus Energy Hubs”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 34, No. 3, May 2019, pp. 1895-1907. [Link]
- Y. Shi, B. Xu, Y. Tan, D. Kirschen and B. Zhang, "Optimal Battery Control Under Cycle Aging Mechanisms in Pay for Performance Settings," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol.64, No. 6, June 2019, pp. 2324-2339. [Link]
- Ryan T. Elliott, Ricardo Fernandez-Blanco, Kelly Kozdras, Josh Kaplan, Brian Lockyear, Jason Zyskowski, and Daniel S. Kirschen, “Sharing Energy Storage Between Transmission and Distribution,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 152-162, January 2019. [ Link ]
- Aaron Jaech, Baosen Zhang, Mari Ostendorf, and Daniel S. Kirschen, “Real-Time Prediction of the Duration of Distribution System Outages”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 773-781, January 2019. [ Link ]
- Y. Chen, Y. Wang, D. Kirschen and B. Zhang, "Model-Free Renewable Scenario Generation Using Generative Adversarial Networks," in IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 3265-3275, May 2018. [ Link ]
- Z. Liu, Y. Long, A. Clark, P. Lee, L. Bushnell, D. Kirschen, and R. Poovendran, “Minimal Input Selection for Robust Control,” 56th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (Dec 2017)
- D S Kirschen, D W Novotny, T A Lipo, “On-Line Efficiency Optimization of a Variable Frequency Induction Motor Drive,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 21, No. 3, May-June 1985, pp. 610-616. [ Link ]
- H Pandzic, Y Dvorkin, T Qiu, Y Wang, D S Kirschen, “Toward Cost-Efficient and Reliable Unit Commitment under Uncertainty”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 31, No. 2, March 2016, pp. 970-982, DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2015.2434848 [ Link ]
- Mareldi Ahumada Paras
- Lane Smith
- Gord Stephens
- Adrian Lopez
- Kelsey Foster
- Prajakta Popat Wable