Professor; Director, Institute for Nano-Engineered Systems (NanoES)
Photonics and Nano Devices
Campus Box 352500
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
Research Web Page: Böhringer Lab
Karl F. Böhringer received his Diplom-Informatiker degree from the University of Karlsruhe, Germany, in 1990 and both his master’s and Ph.D. degrees in computer science from Cornell University, Ithaca, NY (1993 and 1997 respectively). He was a visiting scholar at Stanford University (1994-1995) and a postdoctoral researcher at the University of California, Berkeley (1996-1998). He joined the University of Washington in Seattle in 1998, where he is Professor of Electrical & Computer Engineering and Bioengineering and Director of the Institute for Nano-Engineered Systems. Böhringer has held visiting faculty positions at the Universities of Tohoku, Tokyo, Kyoto (Japan), São Paulo (Brazil) and École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (Switzerland). His research interests include microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), manipulation and assembly from macro to nano scales, microfluidic systems for the life sciences and microrobotics. He has created multi-batch self-assembling systems, massively parallel microactuator arrays and a walking microrobot.
Awards and Honors
- Luocheng Huang, Zachary Coppens, Kent Hallman, Zheyi Han, Karl F. Böhringer, Neset Akozbek, Ashok Raman, Arka Majumdar, “Long Wavelength Infrared Imaging under Ambient Thermal Radiation via All-Silicon Metalens,” Optical Materials Express 11(9), 2907-2914, 8 August 2021. https://doi.org/10.1364/OME.434362
- Zheyi Han, Shane Colburn, Arka Majumdar, Karl F. Böhringer, "MEMS-actuated Metasurface Alvarez Lens," feature article, Microsystems & Nanoengineering 6(79), 5 October 2020, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41378-020-00190-6
- Di Sun, Karl F. Böhringer, “An Active Self-cleaning Surface System for Photovoltaic Modules Using Anisotropic Ratchet Conveyors and Mechanical Vibration,“ Microsystems & Nanoengineering, 6(87), 21 September 2020, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41378-020-00197-z
- Di Sun, Karl F. Böhringer, Matthew Sorensen, Erik Nilsson, Scott Edgar, David R. Goodlett, “Droplet Delivery and Nebulization System Using Surface Acoustic Wave for Mass Spectrometry, Lab on a Chip 20:3269-3277, published online 24 July 2020. https://doi.org/10.1039/D0LC00495B
- Di Sun, Karl F. Böhringer, “Directional Droplet Transport and Fog Removal on Texture Surfaces Using Liquid Dielectrophoresis,” IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems 29(5):1002-1007, October 2020, print ISSN 1057-7157, online ISSN 1941-0158, DOI http://doi.org/10.1109/JMEMS.2020.3001984
- Chen Zou, Cheng Chang, Di Sun, Karl F. Böhringer, Lih Y. Lin, “Photolithographic Patterning of Perovskite Thin Films for Multicolor Display Applications”, Nano Letters 20(5):3710-3717, 23 April 2020.
- Di Sun, Karl F. Böhringer, "EWOD-Aided Droplet Transport on Texture Ratchets,“ Applied Physics Letters, 116(9), published online 2 March 2020, DOI: 10.1063/1.5142571, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5142571
- Gizem Acar, Ozberk Ozturk, Ata Jedari Golparvar, Tamador Elboshra Alkhidir, Karl F. Böhringer, Murat Kaya Yapici, “Wearable and Flexible Textile Electrodes for Biopotential Signal Monitoring: A review”, MDPI Electronics, 8(5):479, 29 April 2019, DOI 10.3390/electronics8050479. https://doi.org/10.3390/electronics8050479
- Di Sun, Karl F. Böhringer, “Self-cleaning: from Bio-Inspired Surface Modification to MEMS/Microfluidics System Integration,” MDPI Micromachines 10(2) 101, Special Issue: Surface Tension and Its Applications, 28 January 2019. https://doi.org/10.3390/mi10020101
- Holmes, H.R.; Böhringer, K.F. Vibration Induced Transport of Enclosed Droplets. Micromachines 2019, 10, 69. [ Link ]
- Chang-Ching Tu, Ji Hao Hoo, Karl F. Böhringer, Lih Y. Lin, Guozhong Cao, “Red-Emitting Silicon Quantum Dot Phosphors in Warm White LEDs with Excellent Color Rendering”, Optics Express, 28 January 2014.
- Çağdaş Varel, Yi-Chun Shih, Brian P. Otis, Tueng S. Shen, Karl F. Böhringer, “A wireless intraocular pressure monitoring device with a solder-filled microchannel antenna,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 24(4):045012, 25 March 2014.
- Ji Hao Hoo, Kwang Soon Park, Rajashree Baskaran, Karl F. Böhringer, “Template-based self-assembly for silicon chips and 01005 surface-mount components”, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 24(4):045018, 25 March 2014.
- Kwang Soon Park, Cagdas Varel, Ji Hao Hoo, Rajashree Baskaran, Karl F. Böhringer,"3D integration using self-assembly at air-water-solid interface." IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems 23(3):579-584, June 2014, DOI: 10.1109/JMEMS.2013.2291235.
- Hal R. Holmes, Karl F. Böhringer, “Transporting Droplets through Surface Anisotropy”, Microsystems & Nanoengineering, Nature Publishing Group 1:15022, 28 September 2015, doi:10.1038/micronano.2015.22.
Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering
Site Director, National Nanotechnology Coordinated Infrastructure (NNCI)
Adjunct Professor, Computer Science & Engineering
Adjunct Professor, Mechanical Engineering