Professor; ECE International Programs Lead
Data Science, Computing and Networking
Campus Box 352500
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
External Web Page: Information Processing Lab
Dr. Jenq-Neng Hwang received the BS and MS degrees, both in electrical engineering from the National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, in 1981 and 1983 separately. He then received his Ph.D. degree from the University of Southern California. In the summer of 1989, Dr. Hwang joined the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) of the University of Washington in Seattle, where he has been promoted to Full Professor since 1999. He served as the Associate Chair for Research from 2003 to 2005, and from 2011-2015. He also served as the Associate Chair for Global Affairs from 2015-2020. He is currently the International Programs Lead in the ECE Department. He is the founder and co-director of the Information Processing Lab., which has won several AI City Challenges awards in the past years. He has written more than 380 journal, conference papers and book chapters in the areas of machine learning, multimedia signal processing, computer vision, and multimedia system integration and networking, including an authored textbook on "Multimedia Networking: from Theory to Practice," published by Cambridge University Press. Dr. Hwang has close working relationship with the industry on artificial intelligence and machine learning.
Dr. Hwang received the 1995 IEEE Signal Processing Society's Best Journal Paper Award. He is a founding member of Multimedia Signal Processing Technical Committee of IEEE Signal Processing Society and was the Society's representative to IEEE Neural Network Council from 1996 to 2000. He is currently a member of Multimedia Technical Committee (MMTC) of IEEE Communication Society and also a member of Multimedia Signal Processing Technical Committee (MMSP TC) of IEEE Signal Processing Society. He served as associate editors for IEEE T-SP, T-NN and T-CSVT, T-IP and Signal Processing Magazine(SPM). He is currently on the editorial board of ZTE Communications, ETRI, IJDMB and JSPS journals. He sserved as the Program Co-Chair of IEEE ICME 2016 and was the Program Co-Chairs of ICASSP 1998 and ISCAS 2009. Dr. Hwang is a fellow of IEEE since 2001.
For more info, please see my updated curriculum vitae
Awards and Honors
Awards and Honors
- Winners of IEEE CVPR 5th BMTT MOTChallenge Workshop: Multi-Object Tracking and Segmentation, 2020
- Winners of IEEE CVPR annual AI City Challenge 2018, 2019 and the corresponding reports
- Annual Faculty Service Award, UWEE, 2006
- IEEE Fellow, 2001
- IEEE SP Society Best (Journal) Paper Award, 1995.
Recent Invited Talks
- "Coordinated Mining of Big Visual Data for Smart City," Keynote speech for the 8th IEEE Annual Computing and Communication Workshop and Conference (CWCC), Jan. 8-10, 2018, Las Vegas, USA.
- "Coordinated 3D-Information Mining of Big Visual Data for Smart City," Keynote speech for the 10th International Conference on Digital Image Processing (ICDIP), May 11-14, 2018, Shanghai, China.
- "Dynamic 3D Inference of Big Visual Data for Smart City," Keynote speech for the IEEE 20th International Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP), August 29-31, 2018, Vancouver, Canada.
- “Electronic Visual Monitoring for the Smart Ocean,” Keynote speech for the 11th International Conference on Digital Image Processing (ICDIP), May 10-13, 2019, Guangzhou, China.
- “Coordinated 3D World Exploration for Smart Surveillance and Autonomous Driving,” Keynote speech for 16th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Video and Signal-based Surveillance (AVSS), September 18-21, 2019, Taipei.
- “Multiple Object Tracking in Videos,” Tutorial talk, IEEE ICIP, September 22-29, 2019, Taipei.
- “Electronic Visual Monitoring for the Smart Ocean,” Keynote speech for 10th IEEE Annual Information Technology, Electronics and Mobile Communication Conference, Vancouver BC Canada, October 17-19, 2019.
- "Mobile Edge Joint Exploration of Big IoT Data for Smart City Applications," Keynote speech for The 9th IEEE/CIC International Conference on Communications in China (ICCC 2020), August 9-11, Chongqing, China.
- "When 5G Meets with Big IoT Data for Coordinated Mining of 3D World," Keynote speech for The IEEE International Conf. on Consumer Electronics -- Taiwan (ICCE-TW), Sep. 28-30, 2020.
- Human Tracking and Re-Identification
- Underwater Video Analyses for Fishery Science
- QoS Enhancement of Wireless Video Networking
- 3D Human Pose Estimation Based on Hierarchical Modeling
- On Board Chute Based Image Analyses for Electronic Fishery Monitoring (NOAA, Pacific Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission)
- Mutual Learning and Fusion of Camera and Radar for Autonomous Driving (CMMB Vision)
- Baby Pose Estimation for Early Austim Detection (ETRI)
- Development of Vehicle Detection, Tracking, and Re-Identification Methods for Deep Learning-based Multi-Camera Traffic Surveillance (ETRI)
- Machine Learning for 3D Carotid Artery of MRI (philips North America)
- Human Pose Estimation and Analytics (AI Think Tank)
- Wei Huang, Lianghui Ding, De Meng, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Yiling Xu, Wenjun Zhang, “QoE-based Resource Allocation for Heterogeneous Multi-Radio Communication in Software-Defined Vehicle Networks.” IEEE Access, 2018, 6: 3387~3399.
- Yun-Fu Liu, Da-Wei Jaw, Shih-Chia Huang, Jenq-Neng Hwang, “DesnowNet: Context-Aware Deep Network for Snow Removal. ” IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, 27(6): 3064- 3073, June 2018.
- Li Hou,Kang Han, Wanggen Wan, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Haiyan Yao, “Normalized Distance Aggregation of Discriminative Features for Person Re-identification. ” Journal of Electronic Imaging, 27(2):023006-1-023006-12, March/April 2018.
- Xiaoli Zhao, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Zhijun Fang, Guozhong Wang , “Gradient-based adaptive particle swarm optimizer with improved extremal optimization.” Applied Intelligence, 48(12): 4646-4659, December 2018.
- Gaoang Wang, Jeng-Neng Hwang, Craig Rose, Farron Wallace, “Uncertainty Based Active Learning via Sparse Modeling for Image Classification,” IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, 28(1):316-329, Jan. 2019.
- Tsung-Wei Huang, Jeng-Neng Hwang, Suzanne Romain, Farron Wallace, “Fish Tracking and Segmentation from Stereo Videos on the Wild Sea Surface for Electronic Monitoring of Rail Fishing," IEEE Trans. on CSVT, 29(10): 3146 - 3158, Oct. 2019.
- Li Chen, Mahmud Mossa-Basha, Jie Sun, Daniel S. Hippe, Niranjan Balu, Quan Yuan, Kristi Pimentel, Thomas S. Hatsukami,J enq-Neng Hwang, Chun Yuan “Quantification of morphometry and intensity features of intracranial arteries from 3D TOF MRA using the intracranial artery feature extraction (iCafe): A reproducibility study.” Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 57:293-302, April 2019.
- Jingming Zhao, Juan Zhang, Zhi Li, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Yongbin Gao, and Zhijun Fang “DD-CycleGAN: Unpaired image dehazing via Double-Discriminator Cycle-Consistent Generative Adversarial network . ” Special Issue on Internet of Things (IoT) for In-Vehicle Systems, journal Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence (EAAI), 82:263-271, June 2019.
- Zheng Tang, Yen-Shuo Lin, Kuan-Hui Lee, Jeng-Neng Hwang, Jen-Hui Chuang “ESTHER: Joint Camera Self-calibration and Automatic Radial Distortion Correction from Tracking of Walking Humans . ” IEEE Access, 7: J10754 - 10766, anuary 2019.
- Wei Huang, Lianghui Ding, Guangtao Zhai, Xiongkuo Min, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Yiling Xu, Wenjun Zhang, “Utility-Oriented Resource Allocation for 360-Degree Video Transmission over Heterogeneous Networks.” Digital Signal Processing, Elsevier, 84(2019): 1-14, Jan. 2019.
- Jounsup Park, Jeng-Neng Hwang, Philip A. Chou, “Rate-Utility Optimized Streaming of Volumetric Media for Augmented Reality.” Accepted by IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems, 9(1):149 - 162, March 2019.
- Zhi Li, Juan Zhang, Zhijun Fang, Bo Huang, Xiaoyan Jiang, Yongbin Gao, Jenq-Neng Hwang, “Single Image Snow Removal via Composition Generative Adversarial Networks,” IEEE ACCESS, 7:25016-25025, Feb 2019.
- Li Chen, Jie Sun, Daniel S Hippe, Niranjan Balu, Quan Yuan, Isabelle Yuan, Xihai Zhao, Rui Li. Le He, Thomas S Hatsukami, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Chun Yuan, “Quantitative Assessment of the Intracranial Vasculature in an Older Adult Population using iCafe,” Neurobiology of Aging, 79:59-65, July 2019.
- Zheng Tang, Jenq-Neng Hwang, “MOANA: An Online Learned Adaptive Appearance Model for Robust Multiple Object Tracking in 3D,” IEEE Access, 7: 31934 - 31945, March 2019.
- Gaoang Wang, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Farron Wallace and Craig S. Rose, “Multi-Scale Fish Segmentation Refinement and Missing Shape Recovery,” IEEE Access, 7: 52836 - 52845, April 2019.
- Junchao Yang, Jiangtao Luo, De Meng and Jenq-Neng Hwang, “QoE-Driven Resource Allocation Optimized for Uplink Delivery of Delay-Sensitive VR Video over cellular Network. ” 7:60672 - 60683, IEEE Access, May 2019.
- Yang Li, Xiaoyan Jiang, Jenq-Neng Hwang, “Effective person re-identification by self-attention model guided feature learning,” Knowledge-Based Systems, vol. 187, 2019.
- Y Xu, H Chen, W Zhang, JN Hwang, “Smart Media Transport: A Burgeoning Intelligent System for Next Generation Multimedia Convergence Service over Heterogeneous Networks in China,” IEEE MultiMedia, August 2019.
- Zhiqian Jiang, Wei Huang, Hao Chen, Yiling Xu, Xu Zhang, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Zhan Ma, Jun Sun, "A Hierarchical Buffer Management Approach to Rate Adaptation for 360-Degree Video Streaming," accepted by IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, September 2019.
- Renshu Gu, Gaoang Wang, Zhongyu Jiang, Jenq-Neng Hwang, "Multi-Person Hierarchical 3D Pose Estimation in Natural Videos," accepted by IEEE Trans. on CSVT, November 2019.
- Yanting Zhang, Haotian Zhang, Gaoang Wang, Jie Yang, Jenq-Neng Hwang, "Bundle Adjustment for Monocular Visual Odometry based on Detection of Traffic Signs," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, 69(1):151-162, Jan. 2020.
- Yaqing Wang, Chunyan Feng, Caili Guo, Yunfei Chu, Jenq-Neng Hwang, "A Cross-Domain Hierarchical Recurrent Model for Personalized Session-Based Recommendations," accepted by Neurocomputing, November 2019.
- Anjie Wang, Zhijun Fang, Yongbin Gao, Songchao Tan, Shanshe Wang, Siwei Ma, Jenq-Neng Hwang, "Adversarial Learning for Joint Optimization of Depth and Ego-Motion," accepted by IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Jan. 2020.
- Li Chen, Gador Canton, Wenjin Liu, Daniel S. Hippe, Niranjan Balu, Hiroko Watase, Thomas S. Hatsukami, John C. Waterton, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Chun Yuan2 ,"Fully automated and Robust Analysis Technique for Popliteal Artery Vessel Wall Evaluation (FRAPPE) using Neural Network Models from Standardized Knee MRI," Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Feb. 2020
- Ren-Hung Hwang, Chih-Yu Wang, Jenq Neng Hwang, Yu-Ren Lin, Wei-Yu Chen, "Optimizing Live Layered Video Multicasting over LTE with Mobile Edge Computing," accepted by IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, July 2020.
- Fangyi Zhu, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Zhanyu Ma, Guang Chen, Jun Guo, "Understanding Objects in Video: Object-Oriented Video Captioning via Structured Trajectory and Adversarial Learning," accepted by IEEE Access, August 2020.
- Wei Huang, De Meng, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Jounsup Park, Yiling Xu, Wenjun Zhang, “QoE Based SDN Heterogeneous LTE and WLAN Multi-Radio Networks for Multi-User Access,” IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), Barcelona, Spain, April 15-18, 2018
- Younggun Lee and Jenq-Neng Hwang, “Facial Feature-Integrated Inter-Camera Human Tracking,” IEEE Int'l Conf. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Calgary, Alberta, Canada, April 15-20, 2018
- Zheng Tang, Gaoang Wang, Hao Xiao, Aotian Zheng, Jenq-Neng Hwang, “Single-camera and inter-camera vehicle tracking and 3D speed estimation based on fusion of visual and semantic features,” 2018 IEEE/CVF Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops (CVPRW), Salt Lake City, June 18-22, 2018
- Zheng Tang, Renshu Gu, Jenq-Neng Hwang, “Joint Multi-View People Tracking and Pose Estimation for 3D Scene Reconstruction,” IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), San Diego, July 23-27, 2018
- Na Wang, Haiqing Du, Yong Liu, Zheng Tang, Jenq-Neng Hwang, “Self-Calibration of Traffic Surveillance Cameras based on moving vehicle appearance and 3-D Vehicle Modeling,” IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Athens Greece, Oct 7-10, 2018.
- Yunfei Chu, Chunyan Feng, Caili Guo, Yaqing Wang, and Jenq-Neng Hwang, "Event2vec: Heterogeneous Hypergraph Embedding for Event Data," Int'l Conf. on Data Mining (ICDM), Large Scale Graph Representation Learning and Applications (GRLA) Workshop, Singapore, Nov. 17-20, 2018.
- Gaoang Wang, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Yiling Xu, Farron Wallace, Craig Rose, "Coarse-to-Fine Segmentation Refinement and Missing Shape Recovery for Halibut Fish,” IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing (GlobalSIP), Anaheim California, Nov 26-29, 2018
- Jounsup Park, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Hung-Yu Wei “Cross-Layer Optimization for VR Video Multicast Systems,” IEEE Global Communications (Globecom) 2018, Abu Dhabi, UAE, December 9-13, 2018.
- Jounsup Park, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Phil Chou “Volumetric Media Streaming for Augmented Reality,” IEEE Global Communications (Globecom) 2018, Abu Dhabi, UAE, December 9-13, 2018.
- Yaqing Wang, Chunyan Feng, Caili Guo, Yunfei Chu and Jenq-Neng Hwang “Solving the Sparsity Problem in Recommendations via Cross-Domain Item Embedding Based on Co-clustering,” 12th ACM International Conf. on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM), Melbourne, Australia, Feb. 11-15, 2019.
- Renshu Gu, Gaoang Wang and Jenq-Neng Hwang “Efficient Multi-Person Hierarchical 3D Pose Estimation for Autonomous Driving,” IEEE Multimedia Information Processing and Retrieval (MIPR 2019), San Jose, California, March 28-30, 2019.
- Zheng Tang, Milind Naphade, Ming-Yu Liu, Xiaodong Yang, Stan Birchfield, Shuo Wang, Ratnesh Kumar, David Anastasiu, Jenq-Neng Hwang, “CityFlow: ACity-Scale Benchmark for Multi-Target Multi-Camera Vehicle Tracking and Re-Identification,” IEEE/CVF Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Conference, Long Beach, California, June 16-20, 2019.
- Hung-Min Hsu, Tsung-Wei Huang, Gaoang Wang, Jiarui Cai, Zhichao Lei, and Jenq-Neng Hwang, “Multi-Camera Tracking of Vehicles based on Deep Features Re-ID and Trajectory-Based Camera Link Models,” AI City Challenge Workshop, IEEE/CVF Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Conference, Long Beach, California, June 16-20, 2019.
- Tsung-Wei Huang, Jiarui Cai, Hao Yang, Hung-Min Hsu, and Jenq-Neng Hwang, “Multi-View Vehicle Re-Identification using Temporal Attention Model and Metadata Re-Ranking,” AI City Challenge Workshop, IEEE/CVF Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Conference, Long Beach, California, June 16-20, 2019.
- Gaoang Wang, Xinyu Yuan, Aotian Zhang, Hung-Min Hsu, and Jenq-Neng Hwang, “Anomaly Candidate Identification and Starting Time Estimation of Vehicles from Traffic Videos,” AI City Challenge Workshop, IEEE/CVF Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Conference, Long Beach, California, June 16-20, 2019.
- Anjie Wang, Yongbin Gao, Zhijun Fang, Xiaoyan Jiang, Shanshe Wang, Siwei Ma, Jenq-Neng Hwang, "Unsupervised Learning of Depth and Ego-Motion with Spatial-Temporal Geometric Constraints," IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), July 2019
- Yanting Zhang, Jie Yang, Haotian Zhang, Jenq-Neng Hwang, “Bundle Adjustment for Monocular Visual Odometry based on Detected Traffic Sign Features, ” IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Taipei, Taiwan, September 22-25, 2019
- Tsung-Wei Huang, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Suzanne Romain, Farron Wallace, “ Recognizing Fish Species Captured Live on Wild Sea Surface in Videos by Deep Metric Learning with A Temporal Constraint, ” IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Taipei, Taiwan, September 22-25, 2019
- Gaoang Wang, Yizhou Wang, Haotian Zhang, Renshu Gu, Jenq-Neng Hwang, “ Exploit the Connectivity: Multi-Object Tracking with TrackletNet , ” ACM Multimedia Conference (ACMMM), Nice, France, October 21-25, 2019,"
- Yizhou Wang, Yen-Ting Huang, Jenq-Neng Hwang, “ Monocular Visual Object 3D Localization in Road Scenes , ” ACM Multimedia Conference (ACMMM), Nice, France, October 21-25, 2019
- Haotian Zhang, Gaoang Wang, Zhichao Lei, Jenq-Neng Hwang, “ Eye in the Sky: Drone-Based Object Tracking and 3D Localization , ” ACM Multimedia Conference (ACMMM), Nice, France, October 21-25, 2019
- Jiarui Cai, Yizhou Wang, Haotian Zhang, Hung-Min Hsu, Chengqian Ma, Jenq-Neng Hwang, "IA-MOT: Instance-Aware Multi-Object Tracking with Motion Consistency," 5th BMTT MOTChallenge Workshop in CVPR 2020: Multi-Object Tracking and Segmentation, June 19, 2020, Seattle, WA, USA
- Haotian Zhang, Yizhou Wang, Jiarui Cai, Hung-Min Hsu, Haorui Ji, Jenq-Neng Hwang, "LIFTS: Lidar and Monocular Image Fusion for Multi-Object Tracking and Segmentation," 5th BMTT MOTChallenge Workshop in CVPR 2020: Multi-Object Tracking and Segmentation, June 19, 2020, Seattle, WA, USA
- Yanting Zhang, Yonggang Qi, Jie Yang, Jenq-Neng Hwang, " Improved Traffic Sign Detection in Videos through Reasoning Effective RoI Proposals," IEEE International Conf. on Multimedia Expo (ICME), London UK, July 2020
- Chia-Chi Tsai, Yong-Hsiang Yang, Hung-Wei Lin, Bo-Xun Wu, En Chih Chang, Hung Yu Liu, Jhih-Sheng Lai, Po Yuan Chen, Jia-Jheng Lin, Jen Shuo Chang, Li-Jen Wang, Ted T. Kuo, Jenq-Neng Hwang, and Jiun-In Guo, "The 2020 Embedded Deep Learning Object Detection Model Compression Competition for Traffic in Asian Countries," IEEE International Conf. on Multimedia Expo (ICME), London UK, July 2020
- Li Chen, Duygu Baylam Geleri, Jie Sun, Hiroko Watase, Jiarui Cai, Yin Guo, Niranjan Balu, Dongxiang Xu, Thomas Hatsukami, Yongjun Wang, Jenq-Neng Hwang, and Chun Yuan, "Multi-planar, multi-contrast and multi-timepoint analysis tool (MOCHA) for intracranial vessel wall imaging review," International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) annual meeting, Paris, August 2020
- Li Chen, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Thomas Hatsukami, and Chun Yuan, "Automated Intracranial Artery Labeling using a Graph Neural Network and Hierarchical Refinement," the 23rd International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), October 4-8, Lima Peru.
- Hung-Min Hsu, Yizhou Wang, Jenq-Neng Hwang, "Traffic-AwareMulti-CameraTracking of Vehicles Based on ReID and Camera Link Model," ACM Multimedia 2020, Seattle, Oct 12-16, 2020
Recent Graduated Ph.D. Students
- Chun-Te Chu, "Robust and Consistent Human Tracking within Camera and Across Multiple Cameras, " June 2013 (Google, Seattle)
- Shian-Ru Ke, “Recognition of Human Actions based on 3D Pose Estimation via Monocular Video Sequences,” March 2014. (Apple, Cupertino)
- Po-Han Wu, " Visual-Quality-Driven Video Networking over 4G Wireless Broadband, " May 2014. (T-Mobile USA, Bellevue)
- Meng-Che David Chuang, " Automatic Video Analysis for Fishery Survey Systems, " June 2015. (Skytap Inc., Seattle)
- Kuan-Hui Lee, "On-Road Pedestrian Tracking across Multiple Driving Recorders,” December 2015. (Toyota Research Institute, Los Altos)
- Xiang Chen, " Scalable Video Networking over MIMO and Multi-RAT Systems," December 2015. (Tupl Inc., Seattle)
- Younggun Lee, “Robust Video Object Tracking in Distributed Camera Network,” December 2017. (Korean Air Force Academy, Korea)
- Jounsup Park, "Cross-Layer Optimization of Wireless Video Multicast Systems " June 2018 (University of Texas at Tyler)
- Zheng Tang, “Robust Video Object Tracking via Camera Self-Calibration,” June 2019 (Amazon, Seattle)
- Gaoang Wang, “Vision based Analysis in Fishery Applications,” June 2019 (Zhejiang University-University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Institute (ZJUI) )
- Tsung-Wei Huang, “Automatic Video Analysis for Electronic Monitoring of Fishery Activities,” September 2019 (Dolby Lab, San Francisco)
- Renshu Gu, "Towards Multi-Person 3D Pose Estimation in Natural Videos," June 2020.