Data Science, Robotics and Controls
Campus Box 352500
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
External Web Page: faculty.washington.edu/mfazel
I am a Professor in ECE, and hold adjunct appointments in the departments of Mathematics and Statistics, as well as the Allen School of Computer Science and Engineering at UW. I also hold the ECE Associate Chair for Research and Entrepreneurship. My research interests are in convex optimization and algorithms, machine learning, and control theory. I co-direct UW's NSF TRIPODS Institute, the Algorithmic Foundations of Data Science Institute (ADSI). ADSI focuses on developing theoretical and algorithmic tools that bridge mathematics, computer science, and statistics for addressing contemporary data science challenges.
I serve on the Editorial board of the MOS-SIAM Book Series on Optimization, and am an Associate Editor of the SIAM Journal of Optimization (SIOPT), and the new SIAM Journal on Mathematics of Data Science (SIMODS). In UW ECE, I serve as the Associate chair for Research and Entrepreneurship, and the chair of the Lytle Lectureship committee.
Prior to joining UW, I was a Research Scientist at Caltech. I received my PhD in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University where I was part of the Information Systems Lab, advised by Prof. Stephen Boyd.
Awards and Honors
- Maryam Fazel to lead NSF TRIPODS+X in data science
- Three UW teams receive TRIPODS+X grants for research in data science
- Professors Fazel and Kakade co-lead NSF TRIPODS Award to advance state of the art in data science
- UW EE Wins $7.5 Million MURI Grant to Defend Advanced Cyberattacks
- Fazel Receives NSF 2009 CAREER Award
- Algorithmic Foundations of Data Science Institute (our NSF TRIPODS Institute)
- Control and Learning of Uncertain Dynamical Systems: Optimization, Sampling, and Regret (DARPA Lagrange program)
- ADAPT: Analytical Framework for Actionable Defense against Advanced Persistent Threats
- Y. Sun, M. Fazel, Escaping from Saddle Points on Riemannian Manifolds, arxiv:1906.07355. Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS) 2019, Vancouver, BC, Canada. Accepted.
- R. Eghbali, J. Saunderson, M. Fazel, Competitive Online Algorithms for Resource Allocation over the Positive Semidefinite Cone, arxiv:1802.01312. Mathematical Programming Series B, Special issue on ISMP'18. Vol. 170, Issue 1, pp 267-292, July 2018.
- M. Fazel, R. Ge, S. Kakade, M. Mesbahi, Global Convergence of Policy Gradient Methods for the Linear Quadratic Regulator, arxiv:1801.05039. Proceedings of Intl. conference on Machine Learning (ICML), Stockholm, Sweden, July 2018.
- D. Drusvyatskiy, M. Fazel, S. Roy, An optimal first order method based on optimal quadratic averaging, arXiv:1604.06543. SIAM J. on Optimization, 28-1 (2018), 251271.
- A. Jalali, M. Fazel, L. Xiao, Variational Gram Functions: Convex Analysis and Optimization, arXiv:1507.04734. SIAM J. on Optimization, 27-4 (2017), pp. 2634-2661.
- A. Jalalli, Q. Han, J. Dumitriu, M. Fazel, "Exploiting Tradeoffs for Exact Recovery in Heterogeneous Stochastic Block Models," Proc. NIPS 2016 [ Link ]